Democratic Republic of the Congo
Coat of Arms
Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current Head of Government:
- Much economic activity still occurs in the informal sector and is not reflected in GDP data.
- Renewed activity in the mining sector, the source of most export income, boosted Kinshasa’s fiscal position and GDP growth from 2006 to 2008.
- Main exports: diamonds, copper, coffee, cobalt, and crude oil.
101,780,263 (2020) (15th)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Over 200 ethnic groups
- Majority of ethnic groups are Bantu (about 45% of the population):
- Kongo (all Bantu)
- Mangbetu-Azande (Hamitic)
- Protestantism: 20%
- Roman Catholicism: 50%
- Kimbanguism: 10%
- Islam: 10%
- Other (includes syncretic sects and indigenous beliefs): 10%
- French (official)
- Lingala (a lingua franca trade language)
- Kingwana (a dialect of Kiswahili or Swahili)