Coat of Arms
Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current Head of Government:
Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
- Landlocked country that relies heavily on cotton and gold exports for revenue.
- About 90% of the population is engaged in subsistence agriculture.
- Cotton is the main cash crop.
- By 2010, gold had become the main source of export revenue.
20,835,401 (2020) (61st)
274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mossi: > 52%
- Other: ~ 48% (includes Gurunsi, Senufo, Lobi, Bobo, Mande, and Fulani)
- Islam: 61.5%
- Catholicism: 23.3%
- Animism: 7.8%
- Protestantism: 6.5%
- Other: 0.2%
- None: 0.7%
- French (official)