Coat of Arms
Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current Head of Government:
Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta
- Highly dependent on gold mining and agriculture exports for revenue.
- Economic activity is largely confined to the riverine area irrigated by the Niger River and about 65% of its land is desert or semi desert.
- About 10% of the population is nomadic and about 80% of the labor force is engaged in farming and fishing.
19,553,397 (2020) (62nd)
1.25 million sq km (482,077 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mande: 50% (Bambara, Malinke, Soninke)
- Peul: 17%
- Voltaic: 12%
- Songhai: 6%
- Tuareg and Moor: 10%
- Other: 5%
- Islam: 90%
- Christianity: 1%
- Indigenous African Religion: 9%
- French (official)
- Bambara: 80%