Coat of Arms
Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current Head of Government:
Jorge Carlos Fonseca
- Service oriented with commerce, transport, tourism and public services accounting for about 75% of GDP.
- Because of a lack of natural resources, Cabo Verde imports about 82% of its food.
4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Creole (mulatto): 71%
- African: 28%
- European: 1%
- Roman Catholicism (infused with indigenous beliefs)
- Protestantism (mostly Church of the Nazarene)
- Portuguese (official)
- Crioulo (a blend of Portuguese and West African words)